The Junior Estimator is responsible for estimating the cost of labour, material and equipment, for analyzing sub-trade requirements, for preparing tender documents for construction projects and providing guidance and assistance to other team members. You will report to the Chief Estimator.
- Preparing detailed cost estimates and tenders for public and private Design/Build projects, employing your experience and working with Baseline accepted practices and systems
- Participation in the negotiation and presentation of proposals with Chief Estimator
- Selecting and contacting sub-contractors
- Selecting suppliers and obtaining quotations
- Preparing quantity take-offs as required
- Closing tenders in consultation with the Chief Estimator
- Arranging for tender deliveries when necessary
- Assisting in Correcting and coding estimates where we are the successful bidder.
- Cultivating and maintaining positive relationships with sub-contractors, architects and consultants
- Suggesting and exploring creative value engineering opportunities
- Assisting in identifying construction risks, opportunities and thorough assessment of site conditions, sub-contractor and labour availability
- Assisting with assembling prequalification, proposal and tender documentation packages.
- Travel to pre tender site visits as required
- Assisting the Chief Estimator with identifying bid opportunities and strategies
- Gaining an understanding of the Baseline Constructors Vision & Mission Statements, our history, culture and capabilities and perform your duties in that context
- Pursue training and development opportunities, striving to continually build knowledge and take opportunities to share expertise with others
- Other related duties as requested
- Civil Technology Diploma preferred
- Experience in the construction industry, specifically with increasingly responsible estimating positions involving multi-million dollar projects
- Proficient MS Office and Windows-based computer applications skills (Word, Excel, Outlook, Project, etc.) and/or estimating software
- Valid driver’s license
- A strong code of ethics
- Service-oriented and excellent interpersonal skills
- Proven skills in quantity takeoffs and construction cost estimating techniques, and able to complete the entire bid from initiation to completion of the tender form in a timely manner
- Strong comprehension of contract language
- Strong conceptual, analytical, problem solving and decision making skills
- A high degree of accuracy in numerical calculations and estimates
- Demonstrated skills in planning, documentation and time management
- Ability to function effectively when working within strict time limits
- Demonstrated understanding of civil engineering and construction processes and ability to “see” beyond the plans and specifications
- Capable of reading and understanding construction drawings and documents.
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to effectively problem solve and take decisive action within the limits of authority
- Excellent communicator, able to communicate accurately and in a professional manner as well as to maintain open and honest communication.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and innovation and can go beyond immediate assignments and act on opportunities.
- Strong leadership skills
- Ability to address and resolve conflicts and disagreements with candor and initiate strategies to manage conflict in order to reach the best solution for the organization.
- Ability to work as part of a team and promote an environment that encourages employees to work together.
- Ability to work safely and proactively assist in resolving any unsafe conditions
- Most of the work is carried out in an office environment or on various construction sites
- Exposure to construction site environments including inclement weather, loud noises and machinery
- Potential Travel / overnight stays are required as projects demand
- Critical position with intense demands
If this sounds like you we’d love to hear from you – please send your resume to email@example.com for immediate consideration!
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact those selected for an interview.
Apply for this job